Tuesday, February 24, 2009

This is getting out of hand.

Alright. I have a pretty crappy commute. I need to travel between Philadelphia and Malvern PA, during rush hour, on extremely congested roads. The trek should take, according to Google Maps, 39 minutes. In reality, with traffic, Its more like 75 minutes. I would take the major highway that runs nearest, I-76. But that feels like a death-trap with cars going from 80+ to dead stops. So I am constantly trying new back roads, but mostly I have settled on rt30, Lancaster turnpike/ave, since it is pretty much a straight line down the highway.However thats not even my problem.
This week I have had to witness 3 accidents. Its only Tuesday. And these were not little fender-benders. First, upon entering Bryn Mawr, there was a large commotion of police in the center of the road. As I drove passed the incident I noticed a car with a dented hood and a lump of clothing on the ground. As the ambulance approached I noticed the EMTs around the lump. It was a person. I could not find any news on this, but I saw it. Then today on entering Devon township I first saw a car on the curb on the opposite side of the road, then there was the SUV on its side with the windsheild kicked out. I think I saw at least 4 vehicles involved. Then further down the road more police activity. A rear ending incident with the respective vehicles having their front and back ends smashed in. I will note that there were police on site on all incidents.
I really hope this is just a coincidence, but really its all just inevitable. The road goes from a speed limit of 45 to 25 to 45 to 35 constantly changing. So obviously no one knows what speed to drive. Traffic simply goes. The speeds and maneuvers I have witnessed are absurd. Its an extemely dangerous road for anyone. I know of no solution to this other than for people to be better more aware drivers, but thats not going to happen. This is an active problem everywhere, but Lancaster turnpike really makes this glaring. Not that my other option of I-76 is any better. I'd just like to not fear for my life while trying to get to my job and back.

No comments:

Post a Comment